Sugar is no longer considered just empty calories, but an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease. So, what happens if you switch to artificial sweeteners?
What does the latest research on Vitamin D say? Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org’s free newsletter to receive an infographic summary of the main takeaways and Dr. Greger’s recommendations: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
Speaking of stroke, did you see the last video? Chocolate and Stroke Risk (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/chocolate-and-stroke-risk)
This is part of an extended video series on added sugars. Check out a few of the others:
• If Fructose is Bad, What About Fruit? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/if-fructose-is-bad-what-about-fruit)
• How Much Fruit is Too Much? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-fruit-is-too-much)
• How Much Added Sugar is Too Much? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-added-sugar-is-too-much/)
• Big Sugar Takes on the World Health Organization (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/big-sugar-takes-on-the-world-health-organization/)
I’ve previously touched on artificial and low-calorie sweeteners if you’re interested:
• Aspartame and the Brain (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Aspartame-and-the-Brain)
• Erythritol May Be a Sweet Antioxidant (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/erythritol-may-be-a-sweet-antioxidant/)
• Effect of Sucralose (Splenda) on the Microbiome (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/effect-of-sucralose-splenda-on-the-microbiome)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-diet-soda-increase-stroke-risk-as-much-as-regular-soda and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-diet-soda-increase-stroke-risk-as-much-as-regular-soda. You’ll also find a transcript of the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Image Credit: SimonQ via flickr. Images have been modified.
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org